Pulpit Today Sermons
by Robert D Pace
NOTE TO PASTOR: This lesson can be photo copied and disbursed to the attenders. As you teach the lesson the listeners can can write their answers into the blank spaces. An answer sheet is provided at the conclusion of this message. Additionally, this message, entitled “The Incarnation Questionnaire,” works best after first teaching the message “The Incarnation of Jesus Christ” on a preceding service or week.
The Incarnation Questionnaire
1. As it relates to Jesus, the Incarnation means he is: _______________ & ________________.
2. Since Jesus maintains a dual nature, it means:
(a) Jesus is 50% God and 50% Human allowing him to function as one eternal being.
(b) Jesus is 100% Divine and 100% Human. Thus, he is two distinct beings and lives uniquely as two distinct persons.
(c) Jesus is 100% Divine and 100% Human. Each nature remains totally distinct, they do not intermingle, and Jesus remains one person.
(d) Jesus is 100% Divine and 100% Human. However, his unique nature commingling as God-man indicates he is blended into a third kind of nature.
3. In order to cleanse people from sin and also satisfy God’s demand for a human sacrifice for sin, Jesus had to become
(c) Hebrews 2:17 confirms my choice (a) or choice (b).
4. A great mystery of the Incarnation states the following:
(a) At some point in the future Jesus will set aside his divine nature and no longer be the God-Man.
(b) Throughout eternity Jesus will remain as he is—both God and Man.
(c) Philippians 3:21 confirms my choice (a) or choice (b).
5. Let’s discuss the following: (a) Concerning his Second Coming, Jesus said this in Matthew 24:36,“No one knows the day or hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the Son himself. Only the Father knows.” (b) John 21:17 shows that Jesus is omniscient. (c) Jesus claimed to be “the Truth” in John 14:6.
Question: Explain how it is possible to harmonize the Scripture verses in (a), (b,) & (c)?
6. The (a) ___________________________ is another expression of the Incarnation, stating that Jesus is both (b) _________________ and ________________; Yet he remains one individual. Hypostatic means, “under the skin.” But it also means, personal. Thus, the Hypostatic Union expresses the personal union of Jesus’ two natures.
Jesus as Divine Jesus as Human
He is worshiped (Matthew 2:2, 11; 14:33) He worshiped the Father (John 17)
He was called God (John 20:28; Heb. 1:8) He was called man (Mark 15:39; John 19:5
He was called Son of God (Mark 1:1) He was called Son of Man (John 9:35–37)
He is prayed to (Acts 7:59) He prayed to the Father (John 17)
He is sinless (1 Peter 2:22; Heb. 4:15) He was tempted (Matthew 4:1)
He knows all things (John 21:17) He grew in wisdom (Luke 2:52)
He gives eternal life (John 10:28) He died (Romans 5:8)
All the fullness of deity dwells in Him (Col. 2:9) He has a body of flesh and bones (Luke 24:39)
7. What are the primary emotions or responses of the Christmas Story in the Bible?
The response/emotions of Mary were? (Luke 1:34; 1:38; 1:46–55; 2:18)
The response/emotions of Elizabeth (Luke 1:41–45)
The response/emotions of Zechariah were (Luke 1:67–79)
The response/emotions of John the Baptist were? (Luke 1:44)
The response/emotions of the Wise Men were? (Matthew 2:10—11)
The response/emotions of Herod and the religious elites of Jerusalem were?
The response/emotions of the Shepherds were? (Luke 2:15—20)
The response/emotions of the prophets Simeon and Anna were? (Luke 2:25—40)
8. _________________________________ is the harmonizing response from these individuals in the Christmas Story: Mary, Elizabeth, Zechariah, Simeon, Anna? (Revelation 19:10)
PASTOR’S ANSWER SHEET FOR “THE INCARNATION QUESTIONNAIRE”
1. Divine and Human
5. (A) As a human Jesus did not know the day of his Second Coming. (B) As Divine and omniscient, Jesus did know the day of his Return to Earth. (C) So yes, Jesus as “the Truth” had correctly represented himself in A, B, & C.
6. (A) Hypostatic Union. And (B) Divine & Human
7. Answers to this question can be discussed by the leader or within the group by reading the Scriptural references that are furnished.
8. According to Revelation 19:10, because each of these individuals prophesied after their encounter with Jesus the correct answer is: The spirit of prophecy is the testimony of Jesus